Crypto newsHot news

Huobi Global suffers $7.9M hack.

On September 24, Huobi Global HTX crypto exchange experienced a security breach, as reported by blockchain analytics platform Cyvers.

The attack resulted in the theft of approximately $7.9 million worth of cryptocurrency.

In an intriguing development, a well-known Huobi hot wallet left a message for the attacker in Chinese.

in particular, The message revealed that the exchange is aware of the attacker’s identity and has proposed a “white-hat bonus” of 5% of the stolen funds if the remaining 95% is returned.

This indicates Huobi’s willingness to negotiate with the perpetrator in an effort to recover the majority of the stolen funds.

At 10:00 am UTC on September 24, the suspected Huobi hot wallet with the address 0x2Abc22eb9A09EbBE7b41737CCde147F586EfeB6A conducted a transaction.

In this transaction, 4,999 Ether, equivalent to around $7.9 million, was transferred to an address that had no prior transaction history.

The next day, a distinct wallet associated with Huobi sent a message to the attacker, communicating in Chinese.

While the contents of the message remain undisclosed, it indicates that Huobi responded to the security breach by taking proactive measures.

It stated (according to a Google translation):

We have confirmed your true identity. Please return funds to 0x18709E89BD403F470088aBDAcEbE86CC60dda12e. We will provide you with a 5% white hat bonus. This offer is valid for 7 days and ends on October 2, 2023. If you do not return the funds by the deadline, we will request judicial intervention.

Huobi Global’s Hot Wallet Hack: Investor Confirms $8 Million Loss, Exchange Assures User Funds Are Safe

On September 25, Cyvers reported the attack and revealed that the blockchain analytics platform Arkham Intelligence had identified the wallet responsible for the message as a Huobi hot wallet.

Cyvers confirms that a Huobi support page lists this wallet, providing confirmation of its association with the exchange.

Justin Sun, an investor in Huobi Global, confirmed the attack in the morning of September 25.

He stated that HTX (HTX_Global) had suffered a loss of 5,000 Ether (approximately $8 million USD) due to a hacker attack.

Sun assured users that their funds were secure and that the exchange was operating normally.

He further declared that HTX had fully covered the losses incurred from the attack and had successfully resolved all related issues.

Although, Throughout 2023, crypto exchanges have been grappling with a series of hacking incidents, with several attributed to the North Korean-affiliated Lazarus Group.

in the final analysis, Experts estimate that the group has gathered Bitcoin worth $40 million from these attacks throughout the year.

Related Articles

Back to top button
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com